Monday, September 24, 2012

Student - Cash Dyre Fish Market interview #1

Multimedia Journalism COMM 106 –

September 24, 2012
Student - Cash


Interview #1
Business fish market:


Good morning Mr. Michal.
My name is Cash, and I am a Westchester Community College Communications and Media student.
My professor has asked me to conduct an interview. I see that you have a very unique food service business model, and I would like to learn more about this type of service. If I may have ten minutes of your time, would it be ok if I interview you concerning your business?
Mr. Michal Green: Yes
(1)How did you become interested in the food industry?
I became interested when my father was a fisherman working at the Hunts Point food market. As a kid he used to take me there on my days off from school to learn more about what he did at work.
(2)How did you start your business?
Well, later in years during high school, I started work after school at the local fish market.
(3)What did you learn while working there?
I was shown how to deal with customers, how to pack the fish on display, how to clean them, cut them and of course I learned about different kinds of fish.
(4)What was the single most important lesson you learned while working for the local fish market that you applied to your existing business?
Well in all, I learned how to run a business, you know accounting supply and demand if you do not have what they want you can lose the business over night.
(5)Why did you choose this location?
I chose this location because of the foot traffic. At the corner just five stores to the right is the Holy Rosary church and just across from that is another church The Saint Ann Christian Assembly which means good business on Sunday afternoon. Directly across the street is a Nativity School which provides a steady lunch crowd during the week. If you take a short walk to the corner, you will see the number #16 bus which travels to and from CO-OP City which houses thousands of commuters. People also use the bus to come from Montefiore Hospital, and Fordham Road shopping area. The number #5 train from Manhattan is only a block and a half away, need I say more.
(6)You have a lot of knowledge about location. Is this your first location and if so do you plan to open more?
No. I purchased this location nine years ago. I have eight fish markets.
(7)Can you tell me more about how your market is different from others?
Yes. We sell fresh fish like other markets, but we also fry and steam fish and vegetables.
(8)What is the biggest money maker for you?
It would have to be the steamed fish. People from the tri-state area come to order steamed fresh fish and vegetables.
(9)Is this a family owned and run business and how will you continue your success?
Yes. It is my wife, my brother in-law, and my father who work and run the business. I will continue my success by opening new locations with heavy foot traffic.
(10)If you do not mind my asking how much would it cost to open a new location?
Well, after finding the right location, new construction which includes most of the heaver units like the steamer will set you back in the range of one hundred and sixty thousand.




No comments:

Post a Comment